Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Our Home

Our house is half packed up.  We are preparing for a new adventure.
This old house, with its wide floorboards and high baseboards, is my dream house.  It is sociable, comforting, forgiving. It is a house that is used to being a house; it is content with its duty of sheltering people.  It has heard secrets, seen sorrow and joy, but it does not tell. It has encompassed many people before us and it will encompass many people after us.  I like the thought that this place is not "ours"; it is merely a resting place on the path of our life.  Our time here is coming to a close.  We have added stories and character to this house's legacy.  It is time for us to move on and others to come.  I am glad.  This place is a people place.

3 comments:

  1. Just today I was reading in my book and it said, "A house takes on the characteristics of its occupant, and, depending on who lives in it, it can become a very good house or a very strange house." What do you think of that?
    (Book is called Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin - a novel about a Korean family whose mother goes missing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say that it does take on the characteristics of the people. I don't know that there is anyway to test that though. I think I absorbed the idea from Lucy Maud Montgomery. It does seem to me that some houses you walk into feel very homey and some are just uncomfortable. I never like brand new houses because to me they seem like they don't know anything and are stuck up. That might be just me though.

      Delete
  2. I would say a new house is full of possibilities and history that hasn't happened yet. :)

    ReplyDelete